Wednesday 2 December 2009

Genocide Wednesday

Aye. Genocide Wednesday. Because I've just finished watching Hotel Rwanda. I thought I'd make a special post in memory of everyone who died during the Rwandan Genocide.
Hotel Rwanda is the most horrificly truthful films I have ever watched. It is a true story about a man called Paul Rusesabagina (played by Don Cheadle) and his struggel to survive the Genocide in Rwanda. Paul is the manager of the Mille Collines, (a posh hotel) when the Interahamwe Militia start slaughtering Tutsis. Paul shelters his Tutsi wife, Tatiana Rusesabagina, (played by Sophie Okonedo) and his family with 1,268 refugees. (Both Hutu ans Tutsi)
I the most shocking part of the film, I found, was when Paul is forced to go and fetch food and water supplies for the refugees and his hotel. He is told by a militia extreamist, who sold him his supplies, to take the river road back, as it was clear of road blocks. However, Paul did not know that the militia had already started seeking out Tutsis to kill openly out in the streets. Paul draive through the fog when the road suddenly becomes very bumpy and uneven. Paul tells the driver, Gregoire, to stop the van as he thinks they have driven off the road. Paul gets out of  the van and falls over a corpse. He literally knee deep in innocent people who have been hacked to death by the Interhamwe. Children, Mothers, Fathers, Babies, Elderly and neighbors.
Don't believe me? It's true. The raw horror Don Cheadle shows in that particular scene is so believible that I had almost conviced my self not to watch the rest of the film.
Paul Rusesabagina and his family are still alive today. They now live in Belgium with their adopted niece and nephew.


Some of the people who aided the Interhamwe in slaughtering almost 1 million innocent people.

(I deleted this picture after editing my posts because every time I updated my blog it depressed me)
If you would like to view the picture please go to Regrets Only: An African Journal (I would advise against it though. PLEASE don't look at the photo if you are under 20 years old. Swear to God it'll be on you mind for the rest of your life.
 The photo was of a street after the Interhamwe killed anyone with a Tutsi I.D card. I DID NOT take this photo,  nor any other photos showing the pure devistation of the Rwandan Genocide. I meerly want to rase awareness about it.


Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment